Sunday, January 18, 2009

You Can Do This!


In this blog, I'm going to show you how to make sensational sourdough bread at home, without the use of machines or chemicals. You can make these breads very cheaply, and they are clean, quick and easy to do. They will prove their worth every time, because they simply taste better than anything you might have tried elsewhere. Not only that, but the more you do this method, the better the bread gets. I'm serious!

Many years ago I discovered that bread didn't have to be bland and boring. I already knew that it didn't have to be white and square either - it's just that at that time Australians, (and from what I can tell this also applies to Americans and the Englishtoo) tended towards doughy white squares as a staple wrapping for all else that constituted food.

Thankfully, all that has changed now, and interesting breads are available in all shapes and forms from just about anywhere. The way we use bread has also changed, with a more international approach helping to keep it interesting.


However, while there are a plethora of bread styles to choose from, it's hard to get away from the fact that most commercially made breads are compromises. What I mean by this is that despite our efficient transport systems, our clever marketing and manufacturing methods, our 'global villages' and our ability to faithfully copy the classic bread styles, most breads come out of a factory days if not weeks before we consume them. Then they are packaged, travel hundreds if not thousands of kilometers to get to us, are shuffled around on supermarket shelves until they are sold (or disposed of to become, in most cases, landfill, or at best compost). Despite all this internationalisation, it's still hard (and costly) to have fresh, inexpensive and tasty bread which is produced to order, fresh and vibrant and delicious.


I spent fifteen years devising and perfecting all kinds of amazing breads. I admit freely that it was my passion, and it took over every waking (and often sleeping) minute of my time. My bakery over these years produced many millions of exquisite breads, which found their way into people's homes and hearts over that time. I perfected many sourdough and other recipes, which remain in use commercially to this day - my methods are used both in Australia and internationally for the simple reason that they are simple, natural, and they work well every time.

Stay tuned and you will be richly rewarded. If you would like to know more about some of these methods in detail, go to my website, www.sourdoughbaker.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment